Friday, June 01, 2007

Check-up and Shopping

I had my annual check-up today, and my son came up. It was nice to talk about him, although of course things got trite. Afterwards, I met a friend for lunch before returning to work and fresh from having talked about him and with his birthday approaching, I had an urge to tell her about him. But I didn’t.

After lunch I went and bought his birthday gifts. He likes a variety of music according to M's Christmas Letter, so I bought two of my favorites – music I liked as a teenager and I still like: Billy Joel and Simon & Garfunkel. Besides the fact that I like them now and I liked them then, they both have connections to the place where my son is growing up.

And then I did something I've never done before. I called his birthfather and told him what I bought our son. Of course I didn’t phrase it that way, but I got a chance to reach out and talk to somebody (other than the doctor) about my son today, and it felt good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home