Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Genetics or just a boy thing?

My parents didn't know I was pregnant with my son. They found out a couple of years after the fact, thanks to my nosy mother who found some paperwork at my house from the attorney. (Damn packrat tendencies will always be my downfall.)

Since finding out, there hasn't been really any mention of him. (One brief and off-beat question - with no follow-up - from my mother, no mention at all from my father.)

In the letter I received at Christmas I learned that my son has a passion for becoming a firefighter and is in some kind of teen volunteer thing complete with his own gear. My dad was a volunteer fireman and for a few years it was a big part of all of our lives. We would go watch fires that my dad fought; we rode the truck in the local parades (so much fun!); my brother had his birthday parties at the fire house. So I typed up the entire paragraph from the letter and emailed it to him a few minutes ago. I thought, what the hell, maybe he'll like to know that. And if not, he'll just continue ignoring him, so nothing to lose, really.

Maybe he'll care.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jayne said...

kim.kim - I lived out of state at the time so it wasn't really hiding. The short story is that it would have done no one any good to tell them.

8:39 PM  
Blogger L said...

So, did he say anything?

I hope he did.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Jayne said...

Beth, he responded in some kind of cryptic way about fighting fires being the elixir of the gods and how he would be admired by many. Whatever. He's dead now.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home